Friday 26 April 2013

Call My Bluff for Music Lovers

This is slightly off-topic, but surely worth the time of any music-lover.

I was member of the  team that won last year's Ryedale Book Festival's Literary Quiz, and, as you would imagine, with such eminence comes an appropriately large burden of responsibility.  I boast - the team was merely asked to compile a literary quiz for World Book Night (no, me neither), to was held last week  in the Sun Inn in Pickering.  Anyway, my team-mates did most of the work, but I am proud to have introduced a 'Call My Bluff' round.

Actually 'Call My Bluff' is something the Taylor family does to pass the long winter evenings: we enjoy the mix of the abstruse and the invented.

So here's my Call My Bluff question for music-lovers, to be done (as a test of your iron self-control) without benefit of internet or dictionary. What is a serinette?

a. A small barrel organ used for teaching singing birds.
b. A French word for silk weaver.
c. A 17th century Italian dance.

Don't all tweet at once.



Answers next time, when I will also reveal the unlikely link between Ryedale, the amazing pianistic Labeque Sisters, who will be making Sledmere ring on Thursday July 18th,  and the differently-amazing violinist Viktoria Mullova.  I can confidently assert that you won't find the answer to that one on the web, no matter how hard you try.  

No comments:

Post a Comment